Oct 27, 2006

Stories

Storytelling is a Celtic tradition (although it's found in most other cultures as well.) I've been thinking a little about stories lately. Rick Warren in The Purpose Driven Life says: "Shared stories build a relational bridge that Jesus can walk across from your heart to theirs." I love that. I believe the early Celtic Christians were just like that. They got to know people by sharing their stories.

Seanachaidh is Irish for storyteller. I tell stories through the written word, but some people are hugely gifted in oral storytelling. I used to be a preschool and kindergarten teacher, so I did my share of storytelling to children. It was great fun, although I do not have much acting talent. But I don't think this kind of storytelling was necessarily what Rick Warren had in mind. He was simply saying that everyone has a story to tell. I believe that's true. You've likely had an experience and learned from it and others can be inspired by that story.

A lot of people are inspired by the story of a handicapped baseball pitcher who is in the National Hall of Fame. My cousin ran across this piece on the Internet which uses this man's story to inspire those who don't think they have anything special to offer.

There are lots of stories to tell, and many that you alone can share. I encourage you to tell them, in whatever format you are able.

Here are some examples of people doing just that:
Lloyd Peters
Stories by people with disabilities
Your Life is Your Story

No comments:

Post a Comment