Feb 1, 2009

Happy Saint Brigid's Day!

Feb. 1 was traditionally the festival of Imbolc, a time for divining the weather and celebrating the fertility of the livestock. The goddess Brigid (spelled many different ways) was associated with this season. As Christianity was introduced, the old beliefs were blended with the new so Feb. 1 is the supposed date of Saint Brigid's birth. Please don't ask me if she was a real person. That's a matter of opinion and belief. There are only the old tales to go by, but it's not out of the question that there was a real Brigid, named for the popular goddess, who founded a duel monastery (for men and women), did miraculous works, was extremely generous, and was revered for centuries--and still is.

If you want to read my intrepretations of her early life (fiction), get a copy of Brigid of Ireland.

If you want a short synopsis of her life and the stories associated with her, read the chapter on St. Brigid in my new book, Celtic Wisdom: Treasures From Ireland.
















If you want to learn how to weave a St. Brigid's cross, traditionally woven on this day by children in Ireland, go here.

HAPPY SAINT BRIGID'S DAY!

5 comments:

  1. I am writing a report on St. Brigid, and your info both facts and fiction helped. Thanks!
    -Phyllis McConery

    ReplyDelete
  2. thank you i have all the info i needed for my school's all saints day prade

    ReplyDelete
  3. This year's Saint Brigid's Day is approaching fast and I already have your book on my wishlist. Yesterday I drew her, she can be seen on my blog. Hope you'll like it :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ashmodai,
    Can I post your drawing on my blog?
    (I can't seem to post to my own blog! It's really me. I just had to post as Anonymous!)
    Cindy

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, I am sorry, I just saw that now.
    Of course, I'd be honoured. :)

    ReplyDelete