Dec 31, 2010

Books I Read in 2010

Every year I keep a list of the books I read that year. Usually I can tell something about what I've been doing by looking at the list. This year I wrote young adult fantasy and historical romance, and some of the books I read fell into those genres. I try to read a few classics (I missed a lot of them during my school years because for some reason the classics fell out of favor with English teachers in the 1970's--at least where I was.) I also try to read some current (published in the last couple of years) mainstream best sellers. I'd like to up the number of those in the coming year. I read some books written by my friends, some books for research, and some I just wanted to read just because.

As a result my list is always a bit eclectic. But what do you expect from someone who is just as passionate about Ireland as she is about baseball--two interests that don't cross paths often.

There is not one baseball book on my list this year. I think that's because I didn't write anything baseball-related in 2010 and I took very little time out to read anything that wasn't somehow related to my writing journey. I'd like to fix that in 2011.

I read 31 books in 2010. That's down from 36 in 2009. However, I did read (or rather listen to) New York by Edward Rutherfurd. That book is as long as three normal books--30 CDs!

I do listen to a lot of audio books on my iPod. This year I expect to finish some books on my Kindle application. I'm in the middle of a couple of them.

The books I've started this year and expect to finish in 2011 (therefore they'll be on next year's list) are Rooms by Jim Rubart, The Wonderful Wizard of Oz by L. Frank Baum, and an odd book that I came across on a site from Harvard that contains materials pertaining to American Immigration called Imported Americans: The Story of the Experiences of a Disguised American and His Wife Studying the Immigration Question by Broughton Brandenbery. Long title, but it's really interesting.

So, here's my list. I'd love to hear your's.





  1. When the Astors Owned New York, Blue Bloods and Grand Hotels in a Gilded Age by Justin Kaplan

  1. Yada Yada Prayer Group by Neta Jackson (audio)

  1. A Promise Born by Cara Putman

  1. Breach of Trust By DiAnn Mills (audio)

  1. Time Traveler’s Wife by Audrey Niffenegger (audio)

  1. The House of Mirth by Edith Wharton

  1. Brigid of Kildare by Heather Terrell

  1. Abigail by Jill Eileen Smith

  1. The Fire in Fiction by Donald Maass

  1. Emma by Jane Austin (audio)

  1. The Tea House on Mulberry Street by Sharon Owens (audio)

  1. Here Burns My Candle by Liz Curtis Higgs

  1. Protector’s Honor by Kit Wilkinson

  1. On Agate Hill by Lee Smith (audio)

  1. Thin Places, An Evangelical Journey into Celtic Christianity by Tracy Balzer

  1. Cleopatra’s Daughter by Michelle Moran (audio)

  1. Club Sandwich by Lisa Samson (audio)

  1. The Mailbox by Marybeth Whalen

  1. Eragon by Christopher Paolini (audio)

  1. The Chieftain’s Daughter by Sam McBratney (short)

  1. White Picket Fences by Susan Meissner (audio)

  1. Sabotage by Kit Wilkinson

  1.  Fireflies in December by Jennifer Erin Valent (audio)

  1. Riven by Jerry Jenkins (audio)

  1. Stars in the Night by Cara Putman

  1. The Humming of Numbers by Joni Sensel

  1. Faithful by Kim Cash Tate

  1. The Shape of Mercy by Susan Meissner

  1. New York by Edward Rutherford (audio, 30 CDs.)

  1. Leaving Church, A Memoir of Faith by Barbara Brown Taylor

  1. Lake of Sorrows by Erin Hart


No comments:

Post a Comment