Mar 21, 2011

Is the Spring Equinox for Christians?

It's a well known fact that pagans and new agers celebrate the seasons of the sun and moon, but what about Christians? I rarely hear any Christians speak of the seasons other than to welcome spring and fear winter. But  Who made the seasons anyway?

As I've said in previous posts, the ancient people knew the Creator before they knew His Name. They observed Him in creation and were humbled and awed and showed respect.


From the Carmina Gadelica:

The Sun 


Greetings to you, sun of the season 
And you walking high in the heavens 
Your steps strong on the wings of the heights 
And you the adored mother of the stars. 


It is you lying down in the harbor of danger (ie. the sea) 
Without bedevilment and without dread; 
It is you rising up on the peaked wave of peace 
Like a young queen in flower.


In this video you can see the spring solstice sunbeam being captured in this ancient tomb. I talked about Newgrange at the winter solstice. Knowth (rhymes with south) is also in the Boyne Valley.





I believe it is good to follow our Celtic ancestors' example and observe what God has done and continues to do in nature. Even more recent generations acknowledge the wonder and power of God through his creation.


O Lord my God, When I in awesome wonder,
Consider all the worlds Thy Hands have made;
I see the stars, I hear the rolling thunder,
Thy power throughout the universe displayed.

~From the late 19th century hymn.

No comments:

Post a Comment