Nov 16, 2011

5 More Facts About Celtic Crosses

1.
Said to be the tallest cross in Ireland (pictured here) the West Cross in Monasterboice stands at 21 feet tall.

2.
The second tallest cross (17.5 ft) stands in Moone, County Kildare. The monastery ruins where it stands are older than the cross, possibly dating to St Palladius, the first bishop sent to Ireland. (Yes, before St. Patrick.)

Moone High Cross, Ireland
IrelandWithKids.com

3. Some of the high crosses are thought to mimic the wood and metal crosses that preceded them. Look at the "studs" on this cross. Ahenny High Cross in County Tipperary.


Ahenny High Cross

4. The Downpatrick High Cross was relocated from the busy downtown area of Downpatrick and erected in front of Downpatrick Cathedral....in 1897!

5. Kilfenora in County Clare is known as the city of crosses. It was once home to seven high crosses. You can read more at the Clare County Library web site.

3 comments:

  1. I go back to Kilfenora every time I'm there. I'll have to send you my photos. One VERY tall cross (I think about 13 feet -- still not as tall as the one above, but ...tall).

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am honored that you used my image of the Moon High cross. I am hoping you would attribute it to me with a link to my site IrelandWithKids.com
    Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for sharing it, Jody. The picture already links back to your Flickr page, but I've added the web site now.

    ReplyDelete