Jan 4, 2012

Ellis Island Pictures

This is as much for me as for you, but I hope you find it interesting. I'm comparing historical pictures of Ellis Island with ones I took. All of the historical photographs here came from the NYPL digital gallery.
View of the New York skyline f... Digital ID: 416768. New York Public Library
The Manhattan skyline viewed from Ellis Island.






View From Liberty Island






Ferry boat, the Ellis Island, ... Digital ID: 417069. New York Public Library
Immigration ferry boat





Next stop :  Ellis Island
Today's ferry. Click on photo for credit.


Immigrants at Ellis Island, Ne... Digital ID: 836573. New York Public Library
The great hall









View of part of the front faca... Digital ID: 416778. New York Public Library
Exterior view


Similar view, possibly of the same side of this building, although I'm not sure.


It's interesting to note, however, that what we have today was restored after decades of neglect. There is still much to be restored on Ellis Island. You can help. Go to the Save Ellis Island web site and donate. Check to see if your employer is a matching donor as well.

6 comments:

  1. Thanks for sharing nice pics...

    ReplyDelete
  2. My grandmother and her family came through Ellis Island when she was 16, from Norway, and settled in Wisconsin.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Isn't it interesting how the different ethnic groups gathered in different parts of the country? My Irish, Scottish, Welsh, ancestors settled in Kentucky and Indiana and my husband's Scots-Irish ancestors settled in PA and NY and his Swedish ancestors in northern Minnesota.

    ReplyDelete
  4. a wonderful posting, cindy...

    by the way, would you include me your st brigid giveaway :)

    karenk
    kmkuka at yahoo dot com

    ReplyDelete
  5. My paternal grandmother come over here on a cattle ship
    with her parents, from Calais, France....
    We have the boat manifest with their name on it!
    Please add my name to your St.Brigid Giveaway...
    Ireland is such a beautiful country.
    Many thanks, Cindi
    jchoppes[at]hotmail[dot]com

    ReplyDelete