Feb 24, 2012

5 of My Favorite Irish Things

(In no particular order.)

1. Knots
    I love Celtic knot designs. Our wedding rings have the eternity knot design, a symbol that love never ends. Right now my husband is stenciling a Celtic knot design on the landing of the stairs leading to my office. We have the design in several places around our home, including stepping stones outside. The design is ancient and for me, inspiring.

celtic-knots
http://www.flickr.com/photos/islandvittles/

2. Sayings
    Love those witty sayings--Trust God but don't do a jig in a currach. Stuff like that. Do you have any you'd like to share?

3. Music
    Wow. Not much need to explain, is there?

4. Grass
    The green stuff, you know. Such a delight for the eyes, especially near the blue ocean.

5. People
    I love Irish people. So friendly and generous with their time and craic. Craic? Well, that could be a whole other blog post.

The craic in the corner
Photo By Jeremy Gould


These are only five of my favorites. I could come up with more. What about you?

What are your favorite Irish things?

8 comments:

  1. I am not sure if this is a saying or a quote from someone, but I love it: You can accomplish more with a kind word and a shillelagh than you can with just a kind word.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah, so witty! Thanks for sharing!

      Delete
    2. Sweet words butter no parsnips.

      Delete
    3. Love that one, Jamie, although I've never had buttered parsnips! Reminds me of the Chinese saying: Talk doesn't cook rice.

      Delete
  2. I like "If you don't like the weather - just wait a minute!"
    Or those:
    "You've got to do your own growing, no matter how tall your grandfather was."
    "I believe in the sun when it's not shining, I believe in love even when I feel it not, I believe in God even when he is silent."

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The weather thing: everyone thinks it belongs to them. No matter what state I travel to, they say, "You know what they say around here: If you don't like the weather, wait a minute and it will change." From what I can tell it's most true in Colorado!

      Delete
  3. "May those who love us, love us. And those who don't love us, may God turn their hearts. And if he doesn't turn their hearts, May he turn their ankles so we may know them by their limping."

    ReplyDelete