Jan 26, 2017

The Path


The Visual Image of the Journey

The path through the grove to Downpatrick Cathedral, Downpatrick, County Down. ©2013 Cindy Thomson

I think a lot of people would agree that life's a journey. From the cradle to the grave, the life we live leads us onward, and if we believe in following Christ, it leads us to a greater reward.

Perhaps that is why when I was in Ireland I kept snapping photographs of paths, gateways and doors. I like to have a visual image of this spiritual concept.
County Sligo ©2013 Cindy Thomson

My photos are pretty varied. I'm only including a few in this post. I suppose you could read something into that, such as there are many roads to heaven. As a Christian, I believe Jesus is the One Way, but truly people are finding him in many places. I think a lot of people feel that Ireland is a thin place, the kind of place that drips history, and culture, and spiritual longing. I have yet to travel to all the places I'd like, but I am sure there are other places in the world with that kind of feel.

Man-made Paths

I have many photographs of pathways that men built. (Yes, I'm including women in that noun.) I can see the creativity in these images. God is the Great Creator, and being made in the image of God, we are also creative spirits.

A modern pathway leading to the Neolithic site of Newgrange. ©2013 Cindy Thomson



Another modern pathway leading to the early 16th century Dunluce Castle on the Antrim coast. ©2010 Cindy Thomson

Created in modern times but ancient-looking, this path leads to a heliport at the ancient site of Clonmacnoise on the River Shannon. ©2013 Cindy Thomson

This beautiful door is on the church at Duncliff. While famous as the final burial place of the poet WB Yeats, the site is also one of St. Columcille's foundations. ©2013 Cindy Thomson

Nature's Paths

Finding a path in nature, even if humans blazed it, can also be an inspiration. There is a path next to St. Brendan's cathedral in Clonfert, County Galway, that is sign-marked as a nun's walk. A tree at the head of the path bears the prayers and cloths and ribbons of sojourners. But following the path beyond through the wee forest, I felt as though I could breath deeper than out near the road. It was like a secret garden. The following pictures are from that exploration.
Entry to St. Brendan's Cathedral, Clonfert ©2013 Cindy Thomson

The path ©2013 Cindy Thomson



An old tree on the path ©2013 Cindy Thomson








What does your path look like?

Have any pictures? Please share in the comments.








SaveSave

No comments:

Post a Comment