Jun 9, 2017

The Feast of Saint Columba

VaMedia
via flikr

His Other Names

I prefer the Irish Columcille, which means Dove of the Church. He was originally named Crimthann, which in Irish means Fox. However, once he was fostered in the church he gained this new name. It's said he had a temper, so perhaps this name was in jest. It came to fit him with time, however, because he was as devoted to the church as any saint, perhaps more so.

A Character in My New Novel

I am writing about Columcille, and Enya (Eithne) in my current work-in-progress. The idea about temperament how much is inherited and what one can do about it is something I'm contemplating as I write. Nurture vs Nature. Which is strongest? What can be overcome?

In the meantime, feel free to revisit this post I wrote on the saint, whose feast day is today.

No comments:

Post a Comment