Mar 31, 2010

St. Patrick's Breastplate Part Three


photo via creative commons by Ted

Christ, protect me today
Against every poison, against burning,
Against drowning, against death-wound,
That I may receive abundant reward.

Christ with me, Christ before me,
Christ behind me, Christ within me,
Christ beneath me, Christ above me,
Christ at my right, Christ at my left,
Christ in the fort, [at home]
Christ in the chariot seat, [traveling by land]
Christ in the poop. [traveling by water]

Christ in the heart of everyone who thinks of me,
Christ in the mouth of everyone who speaks to me,
Christ in every eye that sees me,
Christ in every ear that hears me.

I bind to myself today
The strong virtue of an invocation of the Trinity,
I believe the Trinity in the Unity
The Creator of the Universe.


~~~
Continuing the prayer for protection, this section calls specifically on Christ and prays for Him to be everywhere: before me, within me, everywhere I go. And then the prayer acknowledges that Christ is in others. The last section calls on this power, the power of the Trinity, to be bound to the speaker. I know I'm repeating myself, but that's why this is a breastplate prayer, meant to be worn, kept close to the heart, and meant to shield you.

There are many English versions of this prayer. That's why what I have here might differ from what you might find elsewhere.

The ancient Celtic prayers were often (if not always) sung. I thought you might enjoy this version.

No comments:

Post a Comment