Dec 11, 2009

Instructions from St. Patrick


©Cindy Thomson
Continuing with St. Patrick, we find in his writings that he left a "suggestion" for us.

From my book, Celtic Wisdom:

"Patrick desired that his legacy would be passed on: 'I wish only that you, too, would make greater and better efforts. This will be my pride, for 'a wise son makes a proud father.'"

As I've noted in the book, this is a reference to Proverbs 10:1:

The proverbs of Solomon:
A wise son brings joy to his father,
but a foolish son grief to his mother.

And Proverbs 15:20:

A wise son brings joy to his father,
but a foolish man despises his mother.
(quoting from the NIV)

I wonder how many of us have thought of ourselves as being "sons" of St. Patrick. But we are sons and daughters of those who have gone before us. I wonder if I've done enough to bring joy, especially to my Father who made us all.

No comments:

Post a Comment