May 28, 2010

Just a Reminder

The prayer below is from the Carmina Gadelica, a 19th century collection of prayers and poems gathered by Alexander Carmichael. The collected verses are probably of ancient origin. No one wrote them down before Carmichael, although some are similar to other poems that do appear in ancient manuscripts.

How wonderful that someone went to the effort to collect these gems before they were lost to modern memory.

GOD with me lying down,
God with me rising up,
God with me in each ray of light,
Nor I a ray of joy without Him,
Nor one ray without Him.
photo via creative commons by Sean Ericson
Christ with me sleeping,
Christ with me waking,
Christ with me watching,
Every day and night,
Each day and night.
God with me protecting,
The Lord with me directing,
The Spirit with me strengthening,
For ever and for evermore,
Ever and evermore, Amen.
Chief of chiefs, Amen.
©Cindy Thomson

No comments:

Post a Comment