May 31, 2010

Never Forget to Remember


An Irish proverb for Memorial Day:

Always remember to forget
The troubles that passed away.
But never forget to remember
The blessings that come each day.
Those who fight for our freedom are blessings. Those who have sacrificed their lives, those who sacrificed their time with their loved ones, have blessed us all. Remember them in your prayers today and everyday.


My dad, Lloyd G. Peters, Jr. and my son Kyle at the WWII National Memorial in Washington, DC. Each of the 400 stars represents 100 American lives lost in the war.
My dad during WWII. He served 20 years, most of them in the US Army.

My parents with my sons Jeff and Kyle. Jeff served in the US Army and will soon be discharged.


My son Kyle receiving congratulations on his AIT graduation recently. He is serving with the Ohio National Guard.

I have another son, Dan. I am just as proud of him. He is studying to be a nurse and will be serving people in a different way. Where would we be without caring nurses?

My dad is still living and often when he and my mom go to restaurants and he is wearing his "veteran" baseball cap, someone treats him to a meal or a dessert.

But not everything the soldiers go through (including those I'm related to) is pleasant. They chose to remember the good--what and for whom they are fighting for and those who love them back home. I salute them all!

No comments:

Post a Comment