Aug 27, 2010

Circles


Circles are important in Celtic culture. The ancient sacred spaces were circles or enclosed by circles. Many buildings were circular. Towers were round. Celtic crosses bear circular rings. Did the ancients look to the heavenly bodies in the sky for inspiration? Or did they feel safe enclosed in a circle, like in a mother's arms? I don't know. I'd love to hear what you think.


It's interesting to note that the early Irish Christians used what is called a circling prayer. From my book, Celtic Wisdom:


"These prayers were appeals for protection and called for some things to be within the circle and some to be outside it. For example:
Circle me, Lord.
Keep peace within, keep harm without.
Circle me, Lord.
Keep love within, keep hatred without.



No comments:

Post a Comment