Jan 18, 2010

Song of Amergin


©Cindy Thomson
The Book of Leinster is a medieval manuscript that contains Ireland's oldest mythology, tales, legends, and poetry, opening a window to the ancient world. Amergin, a poet and warrior of Ulster Cycle, leaves us these words:

I am a wind on the sea
I am a wave of the ocean
I am the roar of the sea,
I am a powerful ox,
I am a hawk on a cliff,
I am a dewdrop in the sunshine,
I am a boar for valor,
I am a salmon in pools,
I am a lake in a plain,
I am the strength of art,
I am a spear with spoils that wages battle,
I am a man that shapes fire for a head.
Who clears the stone-place of the mountain?
What the place in which the setting of the sun lies?
Who has sought peace without fear seven times?
Who names the waterfalls?
©Cindy Thomson

Who brings his cattle from the house of Tethra?
©Cindy Thomson
What person, what god
Forms weapons in a fort?
In a fort that nourishes satirists,
Chants a petition, divides the Ogam letters,
Separates a fleet, has sung praises?
A wise satirist.

5 comments:

  1. Wonderful words and pictures.
    Thanks so much for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's my pleasure. Thanks for stopping by, Ashmodai.

    ReplyDelete
  3. These area all the great weblog for the travel lovers and all the baeutiful journey pictures and all the great destinations as well.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great Post, I thought that you might like my machinima film of
    The Song Of Amergin, A Samhain Story,
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4aZsoPRqWqw
    Blessed Be By Stone and Star,
    Celestial Elf ~

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks, CE. For me it's easy to see how these ancient legends melded into Christianity.

    ReplyDelete